Friday, October 14, 2022

(Late) Swordtember Prompt 30: Guardian


 

(Late) Swordtember Prompt 30: Guardian

Sir Luther and his curio, Apolle, spend a lovely day out during the autumn month, Exalt.

Curios are child objects who are the offspring of a deceased living object, called the progenitor. When a progenitor dies a true death, they will yield a withered kernel which will be crushed to extract its germ. The germ is then replanted in a material pile matching their progenitor's material makeup. After a few months, the curio will hatch from their pericarp (egg) and be looked after by their caretaker(s).

Mini-story below:

 

"So, I have an announcement…," Apolle the cloak said as she and her guardian finally settled in a nice family tavern in Vintie, Southern Longormore. Apolle's Guardian, Sir Luther the broadsword, perks up at her words as he slides into a rack-chair on the opposite side of his daughter.

Luther smiled at her, "Oh, did you get a promotion at the Vintie Well Defense? That's great --"

"No," Apolle sighed, shrugging her fabric shoulders, "I wish. Especially for all the time I had spent writing records all day for them. I got something better instead."

From her side sachel, Apolle pulls out a scroll. On its front side is a wax seal, slightly broken from being opened some time ago. Apolle opens the scroll, revealing an elaborately decorated letter. Luther leans forward, his single eye wide open as he reads the letter's print. He makes a sudden gasp, realizing this letter is from Merope Academy, one of the seven magical Academies of Pleiades.

"This soon?" he said, astonished, "But, Apolle, you just turned 19! How?"

Apolle gives Luther the letter to read. "In my application to Alcyone Academy, I--ahum--mentioned that one time I saved everyone at the Well Defense from a massive fossil outbreak. My boss vouched for me, too," she said with a shy smile, "And I also mentioned that I'm Gwuenevere's descendant and I been studying to become a mage…"

"I never thought…oh my," Luther said, blinking away tears as he finished the letter.

It was twenty-one years ago when Gwuenevere died. She was well known for advancing alchemy and fighting for the rights of all fragilekind. She was a skilled war mage who defended the freedom of Erdestra, Luther's home kingdom where he was once a ruling Arch long ago. She was also his cherished friend and, later, beloved partner.

Someone who he deeply mistreated all those years ago. After Gwuenevere saved his struggling kingdom from his foolishness when she dethroned him during the Cumulus Wars, Luther desired to make up for his wrongs. Years later on the eve of Erdestra's last battle against Janthizera, she requested him to take care of her kernel should she die in combat.

He held true to that promise.

"Oh, Apolle…," Luther said as he looked back up to see Apolle smiling at him, "I'm so proud."

Apolle reaches out and holds her guardian's gloved hand with her own. "Guardian Luthia, thank you for helping me get this far. Your stories about Gwuenie inspired me. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. Thank you for everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment