Friday, September 2, 2011

Half a Story

Classes at SCAD begin on the 10th of September and I am nervous and excited!  Soon, Pixar, DreamWorks, Disney, Cartoon Network, and other animation and/or broadcasting studio will know my name!

Sorry, there's going to be no sketches today.  Instead I'll share an excerpt from a short story I been working on earlier this week.  The story is still very early in its development and it is subject to change. (following excerpt is copyrighted to Amari J. Harkness)

Anyway, here we go:

The Shades seem so out of place here in Heaven.  Their dark hide, their unusual tallness, and the way they...flock together, darkening the celestial skies of God's kingdom.  Their darkness is not of evil, evil was almost nonexistent since Jesus' return to Earth and Satan's banishment to the Void.  Their darkness was of sorrow and pain only the Shades can feel and the angels can sense.  The  righteous, children of earth, are somewhat spared from their gloominess.

I pity them.  These creatures really don't belong here but God allows them to freely room about.  They don't have their own homes or careers, no friends or family, not even a pet to care for.  They live in these large flocks but they have yet to recognize each other.  The Shades stand alone in their own space, even when they are close together they will never acknowledge each other.  They seem so lost and alone and fearful of their own existence, cursed to live in eternity in never ending sorrow.

I want to help them.  I want to redeem them.

But...my king, my Maker told me "For these creatures to be redeemed they must face their memories of their past and conquer the uncertainties of the future.  The process will be emotionally and spiritually painful.

"They missed out on  life, not just due to laziness or any of their own sins, but thanks to those who negatively influenced their own lives.  The Shades are actually people who become the embodiment of their own regrets, fears, and shame.  At one point of their life, they became desperate and someone took advantage of them.  They were deceived, broken, and hopeless; they were stolen from me.  I remember when I judged them, every single one of them, and it breaks my heart and soul to see them not even review their own lives.  It's like they knew they were doomed, but it wasn't until death and judgement when they realized it.

"They accepted their fate and became the creatures of pure sorrow.  You don't know how much I want to save them, too."

The King's Father wants him to wait before reaching out to the Shades.  Almost every day, if there are days in such a timeless place like Heaven, the King would appear before his father about this issue but the answer had always been the same, "Wait, Son, Wait."

The King have been doing this for over 900 years and his father still says, "Wait".

But I intend to help them.  Today, I will approach one Shade and I will help it to face it's past and future.  I don't know what to do if I become successful or not, but I'm going to do it!  It saddens me to see the King so heartbroken over the centuries.  But once I get the Shades seeking redemption, I'm sure he'll be happy...

......................................................

Yeah.  Loosely based on Christian theology, but there will be time-travel, angelic eldritch abominations and paradoxes (maybe).  The story takes place in the last few years during the 1000 year reign of Jesus on earth and before Satan breaks out from his chains (Revelations 20:1-10).  I don't have a name for the protagonist yet (well except for Metatron or maybe cough*Lucy' power*cough).  I do have some interesting ideas for the main character(s), some of which may involve the aforementioned madness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment